Proformance Lapping Day - 2/28

epsdan

Proformance is trying to put together another track day for next Saturday (2/28). The ten day forecast is getting better ...

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0020?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

They're calling for 10% chance of rain, which is an improving trend from the last couple of days. :D See that picture of the yellow thing? That's the sun!

Just letting everyone know, 'cause you don't want to be sitting on the side, while the rest of us (race cars and street cars) are out turning laps! They've got some slots left.

For the guys running the enduro, and didn't get to PDX this weekend, this could be the "early shakedown", prior to the IRDC day on 3/7.

See you out there! The winter's been too long!

Dan

Just got the email this is actually confirmed.

Anyone going? I'm giving it my best shot!

Few more parts and I'm ready.

RP

What does a Proformance lapping day cost vs. a track day put on by PR? I've been told that the PR track days are now $200 or more. Any truth to that?

http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/

LAPPING DAY:
If web site is up to date it's now $225 for a full day.

If you're a 'first time student" you must also take 50 min intruction for $125

About 3.5 hours of track time.

LAPPING CLINIC:
$250 to $275 including breakfast and lunch.

Includes instructor/observer notes

Pacifc Raceway Days:
http://www.pacificraceways.com/forms/roadcourse_prereg.doc

I assume (as is says so) that will apply to all Test & Tune Fridays before our races.

Cost $225... and if you 'share' the car with another driver for like say Enduro T&T the 2nd driver is ANOTHER $225 ! ! ! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Can't be absolutely certain of this but I do believe that's over a 20% increase from last year. Nothing personal, but how much of a raise did you get this year?

Last edited:
Well,

They do show 2 different kinda things. As in 'open lapping' for $225 or some days as "Lapping Clinics" for $250 to $275. I guess all they need to do is define some day as a "clinic" and the price goes up.

I think the bigger shocker is 2 people same car $450 during Pacific run T&T's !!!

Last edited:
Well,

They do show 2 different kinda things. As in 'open lapping' for $225 or some days as "Lapping Clinics" for $250 to $275. I guess all they need to do is define some day as a "clinic" and the price goes up.

I think the bigger shocker is 2 people same car $450 during Pacific run T&T's !!!

Richard,

I'm not the authority, so this is more of an educated guess than anything else.

I'm "guessing" that the fee's mentioned on

http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/lapping.html

are leftovers from last season. If I remember right, lapping days did go up for this year. The Clinics were something "above and beyond", where they had Proformance Instructors positioned around to track to critique and note comments on things like driver line, entry, exit speed, segment times (oh yeah, not that - no timing on lapping days) - you get the idea.

FWIW ...

Dan
Pro3 #102

(and looking forward to getting the car out for the first time this season).

Also, ProFormance-run events are different animals than PR-run T&T days. Unfortunately, I think the latter are starting to cost almost as much as the former.

Gee, for that kind of money you get Proformance 'instructors' critiqing on the corners? Wow, I think I'll pass on that. Oh, and 50 minutes of instruction for $125.00? Okay...
Whom can tell whom is behind that face shield anyway? Would I pay another $225.00 for a second driver on top of the already high fees, not hardly. Yes, I'm a hard ass, but jeez, this stuff is really getting out of hand.
Of course I can remember renting the very same track in the early 70's for 25 bucks a day, and running laps till my arms fell off. There was no one on the turns, so if you crashed they'd find you in a few days, but these current prices are ridiculous in my rarely humble opinion.

Gee, for that kind of money you get Proformance 'instructors' critiqing on the corners? Wow, I think I'll pass on that. Oh, and 50 minutes of instruction for $125.00? Okay...
Whom can tell whom is behind that face shield anyway? Would I pay another $225.00 for a second driver on top of the already high fees, not hardly. Yes, I'm a hard ass, but jeez, this stuff is really getting out of hand.
Of course I can remember renting the very same track in the early 70's for 25 bucks a day, and running laps till my arms fell off. There was no one on the turns, so if you crashed they'd find you in a few days, but these current prices are ridiculous in my rarely humble opinion.

Since the early '70's the price of a gas has gone up but your still driving right?;) In the '70's estimated median household income (maybe not yours Wes) was around $14k.

To each his own on the cost/benefit ratio of coaching, but he best money I ever spent in a car was on instruction. Granted, I wasn't very good to start with ;), but a day with the instructor in the car at PR bought me 6 seconds a lap. Yes, it was a Proformance instructor ...

Regarding the '70's and reminiscing , I always love to toss this one in when these conversations start ...

My dad was working on Oklahoma City in 1971. I saw a sign for gas (at one of the cheeepppo places) for $0.19/gallon. Yup - that's right, 19/100 of a dollar for one gallon. Times have changed.

Man, I feel old!

Dan
Pro3 #102

Last edited:
Chevron Premium was my first tank of gas in 1958 at 23 cents a gallon. $5 filled the tank for Friday and Saturday night 'cruising' between Bob's Big Boy and the A&W drive-in's 8 miles apart on Speedway Blvd. When two stations at cross corners had a 'gas war' you could get it for about 17 cents. Didn't change much till the gas embargo of the early 70's. Of course, in the day, Oklahoma was serious oil country. Probably cheap as you could find it there.

2 Tootsie Rolls were a penny.

And there was no such thing as Ferrari Modena powered Nash Rambler :(

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/09/ferrambo-ferrari-powered-1960-rambler.html

None of which has much to do with the escalating cost of racing to income ratio. That's a many faceted conversation involving the tracks, the clubs plus some other factors and so political that I'll stay away from that one on the Forum :)

P.S.
My Fiat Abarth powered sports racer cost me $850 with trailer in the early 70's (okay it needed work. But not much) .. Hmmm yes, the costs have gone up.

Last edited:
None of which has much to do with the escalating cost of racing to income ratio. That's a many faceted conversation involving the tracks, the clubs plus some other factors and so political that I'll stay away from that one on the Forum :)

True, but diverting the discussion to a "remember when discussion" is a better tack to take than starting a sh$t slinging session with our fellow drivers and club members over something none of us really have any control over anyway.

Besides, it's a drug - and I need my fix! :D

Dan
Pro3 #102

Great day at the track

Great weather, low car count, and an overall great day! Thanks to the folks at Proformance for a great day. In addition to the street car lappers, there were three Pro3 cars, a ground pounder, and an E46 a guy is building to run in SPM.

Dan
Pro3 #102

Last edited:
I hope I have this correct!

Mike McAleenan (old car?)
477634529_TiG2u-M.jpg

Ground pounder had nothing but technical difficulties all day :mad:

Oh well, guess that is why I went in the first place :rolleyes:

RP

Ground pounder had nothing but technical difficulties all day :mad:

Oh well, guess that is why I went in the first place :rolleyes:

RP

What were you driving? Did I talk to you? I try to be social at these events. ;)

I was driving the green Miata with the top down in Group 2. Actually, I think I was the only car with the top down! :eek:

Back