Deleting threads / posts

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
While most of us have said or written things that we later regretted, one of the nice things about this forum software is that it allows you to edit your posts, or even delete them (or entire threads that you started) if you later realize that they were inappropriate, unnecessary, or simply stupid.

While I have deleted others' posts or even threads in the past, it was always at their request or because it was a spam post. Today, however, I deleted a thread started by one of our members. It was, as these things go, an extremely minor "violation," if I can call it that, but it prompted me to think that some sort of explicit policy might be in order. Therefore:

Threads that are both inflammatory AND have nothing to do with ICSCC or racing will be deleted.

While I don't consider this to be censorship, I am leaving this thread open for discussion in case there are others who do, and for whom venting might make them feel better.

(One other item: The person whose thread I deleted shouldn't in any way feel "bad" about it.)

I noticed the trailer 'ball' thread was left intact Mr. Admin. Could that be considered inflammatory, or not really racing related? If I were a woman, would I be offended? If I were a trailer ball, but not quite 2 1/4", would I be even more offended?

I said "inflammatory," not insipid or offensive. If someone was offended (and I mean really offended) by a post or thread, that would be examined.

I also said inflammatory AND not related to racing, so the trailer-borrowing/-renting thread does not meet the bar. Now, if you were a smaller-sized ball, then, yes, that particular thread COULD be considered inflammatory. Still kinda racing-related, though.

Now just a minute. Me thinks I am the subject of the subject above. Attaching a race car trailer to a race car trailer tow car is race related.

There was nothing inflamatory, insipid or offensive intended in that thread. It so happens, we had 2 recievers and 3 balls on that fine Friday afternoon. None matched up properly in size to couple the trailer to the truck in question. That led to a departure delay and a trip to the parts store. I was simply warning them guys not to assume their truck would be set to tow any trailer that was available.

If you read anything more in to that, wash your mouth out with soap (my grandmother would) !

Steve had a valid point on the deletion. Toilet seats that are not located inside of a turn station porta-potti probably have nothing to do with IRDC racing. But I'll be checking the labels on those the next time I'm in one. Although not inflamed, it was 'off topic'. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I said "insipid or offensive," I was referring, as I'm sure Wes was, to where the discussion of "balls" got off-track a little. Your post to that thread, Richard, started the whole thing, but it took a few of us (yup, me too) with the maturity of your average 15 year-old to get st00pid with it (if you will).

Being off-topic is fine.

Let me put it another way: Pretty much whatever we want to discuss on this forum is fair game, off-topic or not, just like any conversation that might crop up in the paddock during a race week-end. Furthermore, spirited or even heated discussions about Conference or racing and other race-related stuff is fine, too. The line gets drawn when something that is off-topic AND likely to get people all riled up becomes an online discussion on this forum. Remember, this is an ICSCC-sponsored Web space and whatever we do or say here reflects on that.

Trailer rental thread, guilty as charged.

Even my own kids tell me to grow up :p

Should I be getting some therapy? :eek:

RP

You mean you don't have a therapist yet Rod? Hmm, strange, I'm sure Rick B., the older, would be happy to recommend you to his!

After careful analysis I find the 2 posts above to be... ON TOPIC ! !

Unfortunately, my 'therapy' is sitting in the garage with 2 absolutely rusted in place allen head bolts in it/him/her (note: not ment to be offensive to any it's, him's or her's out there). :) Before taking the final measure of a drill out by DND, I"m going to try something recommended by a a wise-guru in the midwest. CRC Freeze-off (same as Loctite Freeze-it) and an impact driver. After that, shoot the therapist!

Just to be clear, that's not intended to be INFLAMMATORY to any of you therapists out there.

Maybe a trip to DND next weekend for the Data deal will get my brain back on track to what's important, racing. Then I can quit worrying about where toilet seats come from.

.... insipid....

I've been up since 6:30 and trying to figure out how to make an insipid post. But I can't find a button for that?

Just reviewed this before posting. I mentioned the frozen bolts in our RACE car and the Victory Lane Data Seminar. I should be okay here. :cool:

Last edited:
Back on- topic- (balls, indeed)
Mr. Admin, can the instigator of a thread that goes strongly awry
ask to have it pulled when he or she realizes that they've
started something that's gotten out of hand? Or is it just you?

Toby

Anyone can delete their own posts. The originator of a thread can also delete the thread by deleting their original post.

Anyone can delete their own posts. The originator of a thread can also delete the thread by deleting their original post.

As we've recently discovered, the originating poster CANNOT delete the post that started a thread. For that, I guess you'll have to ask me.

Back