Track Tours? To get peeps involved?

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
A thought on 'exposing' more people to our sport and perhaps giving family members a better idea of what it's about. This is not an original thought as they do it at Road Atlanta.

How about a 'sign up' booth at the races for the public (who have already signed a release) and family members (who have already signed a release) to take a couple of laps of the track during lunch? The 'drivers' would explain some of the activities that go on around the track in terms of racing lines, brake zones, corner workers and other stuff.

Speed under the CONTROL of a pace car at 65 MPH MAX. Done in street cars with seat belts.

It would mean getting some people with cars/trucks willing to give rides. It might be a way to 'excite' some people to get involved in corner working or maybe even racing. It wouldn't take more then 15 minutes if organized properly.

I'm sure there's a reason why it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
I think time (for the corner workers/safety people) is probably the biggest stumbling block. Also, there might be some issues with the liability risk in taking minors on a track in WA state.

That being said, I'd be up for it, and I imagine a lot of other people would, too.

My only point about liability (other than my hopefully-unfounded feeling that some clubs and/or tracks might balk at it) is that minors in WA state cannot sign a liability waiver and one signed by their parents/guardian is legally unenforceable. I forget whether it's all minors or just those under 16, but that's the way it works in WA, at least. (IANAL, of course.)

Back