Pre-Grid Question?

Scott Norton

Epic Win, I push limit
With my old in-car camera usually the pre-grid workers were kind enough to start the camera for me. If not I had a small remote for it.

But now with a different camera it is not as easy to start as “flicking a switch” and its mounting position is not as easy to reach.

My new digital point of view mini bullet camera requires depressing a rubber button for 2 seconds.
The camera then beeps and displays the time remaining in a very small little LCD window.
No remote for this one.

It must be slid out of its locking mount and started and visually confirmed that it has started.
Then it must be slid and locked back into its mounting.

When I arrive at pre-grid before the 5 minute warning may I get out of my car to turn my camera on?

You can get out of your car at any time. If we ever race against each other, I highly encourage you to step out of your car at the 1 minute warning. ;)

The key, of course, is to get back in the car and convince the grid worker that you're safe to go on course, otherwise they'll hold you to the end of the grid. :D

In my Crossle (bullet cam and solid state recorder hidden under the driver) I start the camera before I strap in back in my paddock.

As long as you're ready to go at the 1 minute warning you should have no problems Scott.

Thanks guys thats what I expected but wanted to be sure.
I could start it in the paddock before heading to pre grid just trying to avoid the editing :)

However did race car drivers have any fun without data acquisition systems, in-car video, and every other of these high-tech gadgets?

I'll agree that knowlege is power, but...geez!

Ken don't forget the laptop and the Ipod back in the paddock. :p

I have data acquisition too. I find both useful although the video is better for learning from my mistakes. The data acquisition is new to me still and more of a fine tuning aid. It also displays and records lap times which I also find very useful.

I study, review and listen. I watch. I learn the best I can. I make a plan. I run the track in my head.
But sometimes you just have to forget all that and go out and wing it and let the track and the line come to you.

Can you imagine A.J. Foyt's reaction to this stuff when he was driving? "You don't need any of this *&^%$#@~! stuff if you know how to drive!"

But then, in the dead of winter, when the car's in a thousand pieces
and you're waiting for spares, you can sit behind this abominable machine
for hours looking at the data to see what you did well, and what you did
poorly. And when you find a flier, then there's the video to show you how
you did it...

Or when you really make a mess of it, there's the video to show how you can spend
$2500 in less than a second...

t

And so, about half way through the out-lap, and feeling the effects of the "red haze", how much of all of that data-study has been sucked out through the window net?

Back