Open Wheel Driver's Training

jc_cuevas

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I can't wait until our season starts and share the tracks with all of you.

A while back, there was discussion and consideration for a program to allow beginning open wheel drivers to train with some of our more experienced drivers. Although I am no longer consider a Novice driver I feel that I would greatly improve my driving by undergoing some sort of open wheel driver's training.

Some of our more experience drivers have indicated that SCCA has such a program. A less experienced driver would follow the more experienced driver around the track and vice-versa. A critique would follow the session with emphasis in technique and safety.

I feel very strongly this program would enhance the safety and the enjoyment of the open wheel classes for experienced and inexperienced drivers alike.

All of us share in the responsibility of promoting and improving the safety of our sport and I am absolutely convinced, that some of our more experienced drivers would enjoy and be willing to provide tutelage to others.

Open wheel training will not only enhance safety but will lead to creating more competitive and capable open wheel drivers.

How about it?

Is there interest in open wheel driver's training?

Could we incorporate an open wheel session during our driver training days?

Is this feasible?

Your opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

J.C. Cuevas

I think the idea of an open wheel session on driver training days is worth looking at. As my car is open wheel, I took my driver's training in an SUV......
Doing a lead and follow with review and discussion would provide good insight. At this time, as an open wheel driver your option is to attend the not inexpensive formal courses such as Barber or Russell. I know we can't completely teach open wheel racing at a drivers training day it would be considerably more instruction than is curretly available.

As the driver of both a Formula Ford and an F Sports Racer I understand the feeling that the format of Driver's Training is slanted towards sedans.

Considering the fact that Driver's Training is designed to provide people with the basics of car control so that they are ready to start the novice program, I think that current format of Driver's Training is fine the way it is.

I think that the proper way to get the experience that is being discussed here is to find willing mentors to team up with the driver desiring additional "race craft" work during practice sessions.

Previous License Directors have also shown a willingness to allow senior drivers out with novice groups. (Unfortunately, the senior drivers have also frequently let the License Director down by motoring away from their "pupils". Damn that "red haze". :D )

When it comes down to it, most people paying for a Driver's Training do not want to see their entry fee being to subsidize a small number of drivers (open wheel or otherwise) exclusive use of the track. Cascade has experimented with an open wheel session at the end of the day but I do not believe that many drivers have taken advantage of that offering. :(

JC's thoughts are good.

First, the ICSCC drivers school(s) as operated are without question, EXCELLENT! They give the rookie drivers the fundimentals without the hazards for trying to operate a race car at high speed their first time on the track (which is done in some 'other' clubs). It also allows this learning process to go on without the hastle and worry of keeping a full blown race car working between sessions (another big problem in the "other" clubs).

It's true that NOW was folded into Group 6 for a VERY good reason. Difficult to justify 20 minutes of track time for 3 to 5 NOW drivers to run around the track alone in the afternoon. Yes, occasionally (in the past) a senior would go out and play follow/lead. But even with 3 to 5 on the track just how effective that can be in 20 minutes is difficult to evaluate unless, it's getting a somewhat slower car up to speed and on the lines. Difficult to ask them to run as a "pack" as the cars/drivers may have very different performance capabilities.

On the other hand, the Group 6 seniors are a terrific bunch of drivers. In the 2008 1st season of the NOW in Group 6, they really 'watched out' for the novices and, if asked, provided feed back after the sessions. I also suspect the License Director had some discussions with the seniors about the NOW guys.

From discussions I've had over the winter, we may have 3 to 4 new open wheelers join us in 2009. A couple with experience and one or 2 new (assuming the economy doesn't implode). Still, it's a question of numbers. You can't justify a "group run" for 2 or 3 cars.

But, I think what JC is really after (at this point in his racing career) is a more advanced session in terms of open wheel instruction. Again, looking at the overall numbers of open wheel in the club, you'd need almost the ENTIRE field of OW cars to commite to a track day to justify running an open wheel training session in terms of track cost. Mentors are a good thing and can help. This would be particularly effective if you're close in lap times or have a senior with a lot of experience who could back off during practice sessions to follow/lead.

During 2008, Kyle Oberndorf wanted to show Jeff some lines at Pacific during our 1st race weekend. Problem was, Kyle would have had to STOP that FB for Jeff to keep up with him for more then 50 feet! :eek:

But there is a way for the individual to get this kind of personalized instruction. Sign up for a Proformance lapping day. Those guys are quite good at observing from off track and providing instruction at ALL points around Pacific. The added cost for an instructor (above the track day fee) is by the hour and reasonable. And from what I've observed (working their days) they are really good at improving their students performance without being in the car. There are also numerous instructors out on the track during sessions in other cars observing and giving feedback too.

Considering wear on an OW car, sign up for a 1/2 day. You'll get PLENTY of track time.

OR JC. Perhaps some open wheelers will show up (senior drivers) for the Bremerton Track Day in March and some instruction could go on there?

Last edited:
Open Wheel Driver Training

Jesus,

V.M.S.C. has always accomodated Open Wheel students at its Driver Training. I guess I just have a soft spot for them in my heart. We use a chase and follow technique and the last time we did it, I called out a couple of the other seniors with open wheelers and we had Mini-group 6.

The venue in Victoria is a bit more condusive to teaching, particularly cars that cannot have an instructor in it.

All it takes it the determination to do it right. I once was asked to enter the Novice Race at Thunder Hill to coach a Novice. It was a lot of turns to be able to give a critique on, but it was as the first sentence reads "All it take is determination..."

P.W.

Good discussion.

For what it's worth, Driver Training events are designed to teach the fundamentals of racing, they're not really about the car, but the driver.

It's possible that one of the member clubs might be willing to entertain an open wheel specific group within one of their Driver training days, one would simply need to ask the pertinent person in that club, but again, this may not be the ideal format.

It may be more appropriate, and likely a more productive use of time if one wants to work on open wheel car specific issues, to attend one of the several test and tune events, and ask for some coaching from one or several of the open wheel racers that would be willing to mentor/coach you.

SCCA has done the 'lead and follow' format for decades, and it seems to work just fine for them. I realize the OW counts are down, and to accomodate one or two OW students is difficult, but in my opinion that may be what it takes to keep the involvement up in groups 3 & 6. We are currently not 'user friendly' when it comes to open wheel cars, and we haven't been for a long time.
Making it as easy as possible is the key, and I would gladly volunteer to do a 'lead an follow' to anyone with an OW car at the upcoming shool, as many other OW drivers would.
I think that could be coupled with the lapping session unless the student is indeed a raw novice, then we would need to revert to the beginners group. Part of raciong is being passed, so while they 'follow' they can practice the 'point by' technique as well.

What we need to do here is identify what it is we are trying to accomplish.

The question or issue if I interpreted it correctly, is how open wheel drivers can get some qualified experience. By qualified experience, I mean experience specific to open wheel cars. Open wheel cars present unique challenges with regards to instruction, or coaching, because of the obvious inability to have another person in the car with you to experience the cause/effect of what you as a driver are experiencing as a result of your line choices, inputs, decision making processes, etc...

As was mentioned, this objective of qualified open wheel experience is simply not appropriate for a Driver Training day format, because that is not what Driver Training days are designed for. Driver Training days are designed to evaluate and train sheer beginners to inexperienced or rusty people in the basics of racing in general, things like situational awareness, and attitude. They are not about developing car control, or tactical or strategic skills, or anything specific to one style of car. The car itself really isn't even a consideration beyond basic safety items. This is why there isn't an open wheel specific group at Driver Training days, not because we are not "user friendly" to open wheel cars. It's simply the wrong format.

It is because of the unique challenges specific to open wheel cars regarding the inability to have another person in the car, that coaching is not a simple affair, and training opportunities require a unique approach. One approach may be to get together collectively as a group of open wheel drivers, as other classes in Conference have done, organize or develop a curriculum, and make arrangements as a group at one of our tracks for a day specific to open wheel cars. Or as was suggested, use a product already available like ProFormance. Heck, ProFormance would probably love to do an open wheel specific day. Or maybe a member club would also do an open wheel specific day. It's just a matter of someone taking the initaitive to set the wheels in motion, and enough people getting involved to make it economically feasibile.

As License Director I am more than willing to look at any proposal to integrate experienced open wheel drivers with Novices for instruction and mentoring purposes at regular Conference race events, as long as the senior drivers have the discipline to follow through on that objective.

You know, this problem would be solved if the BOD would just crack open the check book and spend about $1,200,000. Could be part of the OW stimulus package by ICSCC :)

Open Wheel Stimulus package

You know, this problem would be solved if the BOD would just crack open the check book and spend about $1,200,000. Could be part of the OW stimulus package by ICSCC :)

Rick:

Once again, you crack me up!

I tried so hard to make my point without saying or inferring anything wild and crazy and there you go ......................

Actually, aside from being a satire on the misuse of our tax dollars, ...... it makes perfectly good sense.

If we, in any way, could bring better and safer competition amongst the Open Wheel ranks, it would $1,200.00 well spent.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions and ......... let us always keep an open mind.

................... and Wes; ............. I LOVE YOU MAN!

"J.C."

J.C., I love you too man!

The current, and long standing driving training format is definitely not 'user friendly' to the OW students Randy. It isn't intentional by either Conference or any of the clubs, it's simply the way we do business at our schools.
I see no reason why anyone should have to do a seperate event for potential OW racers. It can and should be incorporated into the regular schools as SCCA does.
Good Lord, if they can do it, then we sure as heck can. It may not be relevant right now, but if and when 4 or 5 people show up at a school wanting driver training as a prelude to their OW career they need to be accomodated the same as any other student. A sound business plan has to cover every customer as best possible, and I will discuss this with our club chief instructor and see if we can initiate the necessary changes short term.

Please define open wheel students.

Are we talking about new drivers to racing that happen to have an OW car, or OW racers looking for more experience and coaching?

There is an important distinction between the two that has different priorities, and practical ways to best approach them.

Would it be out of line to suggest that someone try and contact Don at ProFormance and see what he can do, if you never ask then you'll never know. The PRO3 group has had a couple events with him and they have found this to be very effective.

I see know reason why the open wheel group couldn't setup a day to not only work on the mental side of racing but as a group there might be enough of you to put on a day the is spent at the track working on technique etc.

What????

JC, if you look closer to Rick B's figure it's a lot more than $1200
HMMM that might explain those cones you hit.

Lynn:

I don't know what the $1,200.00 have anything to do with hitting those darned over sized "walking" Canadian cones?

I believe those things have "little wheels" under them and are operated by remote control by turn workers. Maybe you can put a pink flamingo on top of them to make them more ................. visible????:rolleyes:

I believe that I've already hit everything on my Novice year. I am hoping to do a lot better this year. :p

....................... if I didn't like you so much, I would almost take offense; ..........tough bunch!! :)

I look forward to seeing you and Thomas at the track this summer.

Love and kisses;

J.C.

P.S. How are you doing with the white mini skirt project for turn workers?

Lynn,

I saw that too. But considering it's the 'off season' I thought I'd give JC a pass on that one :)

That IS a very real Formula One Minardi with a Cosworth/McLaren V8. It's specially built for the Grand Prix Masters to take people out for a lap.

I'm thinking ICSCC might be able to pick it up for $1.2 MILLION to help with NOW stimulus

On the other hand, Minardi also built 2 additional two seaters in CART trim. I wonder if ICSCC could pick up all 3 of these for maybe $5 million? ICSCC would be a world leader in the NOW education program!

Somebody needs to put in a grant request to Senator Patty Murray! After all, there's about 50 BILLION dollars available for 'education' NOW..

P.S.
Did a drive in/out at Pacific today. The Karting track is really coming along.
Anything thing else as of now (not novice OW, but as in as of now)? Not that I could see.

Last edited:
You guys are killing me!!

Lynn,

I saw that too. But considering it's the 'off season' I thought I'd give JC a pass on that one :)

Whaaaat........................???!!! :eek:

What is three lousy zeroes amongst friends?

Rick, there are also lots of zeroes missing from the current "stimulus package". Brace yourself!!:mad:

J.C.

Last year, the Cascade Driver Training added an OW/sports racer session at the end of the day. We averaged 1-2 entries per event. We will continue to include this OW option this year.

Currently, it is a single 15-20 minute session at the end of the day (around 4:20 or so). I am totally open to options of whether it is simply a practice/testing session, novice taking his car out for the first time, or someone doing a lead-follow. Last year, if I remember right, we had a lead-follow for a guy in his new car. That's not a problem if we have OW instructors who are available with their cars present.

You want to do a lead-follow--either arrange for a (qualified and approved) instructor to be there, or let me know far enough in advance that I can query my instructor base for someone who will have their car at the track.

Karen

Our current drivers training format is novice friendly, and that is it's intention. We can whine all day long about which group feels slighted and which is being favored and miss the point by about a mile. I drive a purpose built, tube framed race car that has a single seat. Is it a Formula Ford? Is it a Sports Racer? Is it a Formula Vee? Well it's none of those and weighs nearly as much as all three added together but fits the same profile: it's not a good car to bring to a novice school.

We strongly urge ALL NOVICES to come to our novice schools in street cars. It isn't about the car you intend to race at all. A street car will typically SAFELY seat both student and instructor - most true race cars will not. It is intended to allow the student to demonstrate basic car control skills at less than race car speed. It would ideally be quiet enough to allow regular instructor commentary to develop repeatable competency resulting in safety for both the driver and everyone else on track. Nobody ever suggested that novice school was intended to make you FAST. It is intended to make you SAFE. It is then the responsibility of the driver to make THEMSELVES fast if that is their ultimate goal.

Test and tune days are available periodically throughout the year and are a great place to develop both the car and the driver for increased speed. Pick a mentor and get them to come out for the day and run a dozen lead and follow sessions with debriefs in between while tweaking your setups to perfection. It will give you a chance to develop yourself into a better, faster driver and accumulate great car setup info. In general, fast costs money but a test and tune day is one of the most affordable ways to develop the critical element of a race car: the driver.

It is already difficult to stuff all of the safety education and a basic understanding of the line into the time framework of the day and the overtaxed attention of the novice. Novice days are about a basic education and evaluation of rookie drivers with the intent of introducing them to a hot track without causing safety issues. The path to becoming a winner is then dictated by the desire of the driver, and not an appropriate subject for a novice school.

As an addendum to Rick's and my posts, all drivers doing our OW session must have already been through a regular school and be somewhat experienced on-track. The OW session is not intended to be an introduction to track driving.

Back