Fuel tower rules for IRDC 6-hour enduro posted

All of our dry brake and fuel tower fittings are for 2 1/4" hose. Can we please get a variance to the 1 1/2 rule? We do not want to buy all new fittings and hose. As not everyone will be useing fuel towers, there is no advantage/disadvantage issue as one may already exist. All of the dump cans use 2 1/4".

I would suggest you contact Hal Hilton (who was behind most of the rules relating to towers, I think), Mike Blaszczak (who has to enforce the rules), Bruce Boyd (who's the race chair), or Wes Tipton (who is, I think, the race co-chair).

FWIW, I don't understand the rule, either, as I don't think I've ever seen anything less than a 2 1/4" dry-break at one of our enduros. I know mine is 2 1/4".

It is being discussed by the big dogs as of today, but whether it will be modified before the ides of March is not for me to say.

WT
Co-chair, NWERS

Actually I didn't realize there was a rhyme in there as I was actually trying :confused:to be serious. Why do I bother?

2.25" hose and fittings will flow more fuel at the same pressure - so there is a competitive advantage to a larger diameter.

The rules were crafted to accommodate teams that already have rigs, or have purchased retired rigs from Grand Am or ALMS. Grand Am mandates 1.5" hose to limit flow, and, with the understanding that larger diameter hose gets prohibitively expensive. That's some valuable hose you have there, Jeff!

As a fellow competitor utilizing a fuel tower, I personally don't mind if you were granted a one race waiver.

-Bruce

Not going to happen. We will move to dump cans first.
We purchased a used fuel tower that was constructed for 2 1/4". All of our dump cans are 2 1/4", so we did not see an issue until the regs came out. The issue is not speed of fill or of cost, but safety, otherwise there would be a dump can fitting size regulation which there is not. You can still buy all of the 2 1/4" fittings as well as the 1.5", we don't want to spend any more money on new fittings and hose anymore than anyone else does, we just want to use what we have.
Anyway, we are using 4 drivers and stopping 3 times, so a little faster fill is not going to make a bit of difference as we can't get our collective fat butts in the car faster than it takes to fill the cell.

For any team choosing to use their overhead fueling rigs will need to either use 1.5 inch hose or they can fit a 1.5 restrictor hose adapter to their 2.25 inch hoseto make everyone's flow from an overhead rig the same. We adopted much of the Grand Am rule set in order to maitain some uniformity and safety.

BSR Racing at www.bsrproducts.com has plenty of the adapters in stock. Part #FST.HA.0011

Hal Hilton

Ok,OK,OK......we understand we need a 1.5" restrictor, but have decided instead that since we are from BC, and we did not want to purchase anything new that we will instead modify our bong to work with the fuel rig.

Thank you all for your input, please bring munchies.

and yes, we did get a 1.5" deadman..........

PS Is that grass car going to be there?

retroracingteam

.....modify our bong to work with the fuel rig.

Thank you all for your input, please bring munchies.

PS Is that grass car going to be there?

retroracingteam

Hmmm.....
Did you read rule 92.7.8-134 in the Supps?

Manditory urine testing at post race impound for anybody with a potato chip bag or Reese's Pieces wrappers on the floor of the car.

Don't eat any of those poppy seed muffin's for breakfast either!

Back