Star projects, o.r.p. Event #3

bill_murray

BILL MURRAY
STAR PROJECTS
P.O.BOX 38
GRASS VALLEY, OREGON 97029
503-358-2617

ANNOUNCING ANOTHER SPECIAL EVENT: STAR PROJECTS #3, WILL BE HELD SUNDAY, MARCH 1ST 2009. THE SCHEDULE WILL FOLLOW THE SAME “DISCOVER O.R.P.” TRIPLE CIRCUIT – BIDIRECTIONAL, FORMAT USED IN STAR EVENT # 2. A LIMITED NUMBER OF CARS WILL BE ASSIGNED TO EACH OF THE FOUR RUN GROUPS SO PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR APPLICATION AND MAIL YOUR CHECK EARLY.

THIS NOT A RACE BUT RATHER A UNIQUE HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING EXPERIENCE FOR SENIOR LEVEL DRIVERS. TO FULFILL OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TRAIN OTHERS, THIS EVENT WILL HAVE AT LEAST ONE SCHOOL GROUP, WITH A QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR ASSIGNED TO EACH STUDENT.

THE ENTRY FEE IS $205.00 FOR PARTICIPANTS WHO NOW HOLD, OR HAVE HELD A SENIOR LEVEL I.C.S.C.C. / S.C.C.A. / P.C.A. / N.A.S.A. LICENSE. THE FEE FOR THE NOVICE GROUP IS $305.00.

A FULL RACE PREPARED CAR IS NOT REQUIRED, A DRIVING SUIT AND HELMET IS. CARS WITH A REMOVABLE TOP MUST HAVE AN ADEQUATE ROLL BAR. A G.M.R.S. (WALKIE–TALKIE) RADIO AND AN EAR BUD IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR EACH DRIVER.

ONCE AN APPLICATION IS APPROVED AND A GROUP ASSIGNED YOU MAY CANCEL AND RECEIVE A FULL REFUND UP TO 7 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT. IF UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES NECESSITATE EVENT CANCELATION, A PRICE INCREASE, OR RESCHEDULING, A FULL REFUND WILL BE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE.

NOVICE GROUP ELIGIBILITY IS CURRENTLY LIMITED TO THOSE WHO HAVE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:

· A MINIMUM OF THREE VERIFIABLE DRIVING SCHOOLS WITHIN THE LAST THREE YEARS.
· A TEAM CONTINENTAL OR CASCADE SCHOOL “APPROVED FOR NOVICE LICENSE” CERTIFICATION WITHIN THE LAST TWO YEARS.
· HOLD A CURRENT I.C.S.C.C. NOVICE LICENSE OR ACCEPTABLE EQUIVALENT.
· PRESENT A WRITTEN RECOMMENDATION FROM A STAR INSTRUCTOR LISTING SPECIFIC QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE EQUAL TO ABOVE.

STAR PROJECTS PLANS TO ANNOUNCE A BEGINNER LEVEL PROGRAM LATER THIS YEAR. FOR THE PRESENT, A NOVICE APPLICANT MUST HAVE ACQUIRED HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLE OPERATING TECHNIQUES AT ANOTHER SCHOOL. WE WILL BE HAPPY TO RECOMMEND A SOURCE FOR THAT TRAINING IF YOU LACK THE MINIMUM CREDENTIALS.

ALL PERSONS ENTERING O.R.P. ARE REQUIRED TO SIGN A RELEASE. STAR PROJECTS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ACCEPT OR DENY APPLICATION FOR ANY ITS EVENTS, AND MAY DISQUALIFY AND REMOVE WITHOUT REFUND, ANY PARTICIPANT WHO IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE EVENT COORDINATOR, IS CONSIDERED TO DISPLAY POOR JUDGMENT, POOR SPORTSMANSHIP OR POSE A SAFETY THREAT TO THEMSELVES OR OTHERS. PLEASE BE ADVISED, FALSIFYING QUALIFICATION INFORMATION ON AN APPLICATION IS DEEMED TO BE POOR JUDGMENT. O.R.P. IS A VERY TECHNICALLY DEMANDING TRACK. PROVIDING A SAFE AND A FUN EXPERIENCE IS ALWAYS OUR TOP PRIORITY.

TO RECEIVE AN APPLICATION / ENTRY FORM AND EVENT SCHEDULE PLEASE CONTACT:

BILL MURRAY
EVENT COORDINATOR,
STAR PROJECTS
mastermechanic05@comcast.net
503-358-2617

Last edited:
This is the reply i have been giving out to those that have ben unsure where they should be placed:

If you have an s.c.c.a. Road racing license, regional or national, (not a solo or rally license) and you have enough wheel-to -wheel racing experience and advanced car control skills, to drive your car, watch flags and point faster cars by in the corners while learning a very complex track. Then you are ok without an instructor.

If not pay the $305.00. You can't do a lot of repair on your car for the $100.00 difference in price.

Stash your ego for a second and make a responsible choice. If you think you are qualified send me the application and any supporting documentation (racing experience) you have and i will give you an answer.

My responsibility is to keep you (and every one else on track) safe by not over extending anyones comfort zone or capabilities.

This is a very tough track. I want this to be a fun experience for you.
Bill murray

Jeez, Bill, you'd think you could post a response to an ICSCC license question on an ICSCC forum by referring to an ICSCC license level.

Thanks Bill.

This is the reply i have been giving out to those that have ben unsure where they should be placed:

It's not a question of being 'unsure'. Rather, a question of definitions. As in the first post, an SCCA "senior license" (to me) means you hold a National level license. What further confused me at least is, a ICSCC "Senior Level" license (as stated in the 1st post) is the equivalent of an SCCA National License.

On the other hand, at the cross club licensing level, ICSCC "Area License" is the equivalent of an SCCA regional license. So as in your reply, ICSCC Area Licensed drivers should be okay for the non-novice grouping (I think) unless they want an instructor.

My responsibility is to keep you (and every one else on track) safe by not over extending anyones comfort zone or capabilities.

That's a good thing and we appreciate your efforts! :D

Last edited:
jeez, bill, you'd think you could post a response to an icscc license question on an icscc forum by referring to an icscc license level.

Yes, you are quite right. The answer was copied from a reply to some S.C.C.A. lcense holders.

It has long been my (and a lot of other peoples) opinion that the
Conference licensing program is the best on this continent.

Bill Murray

Bill,

Don't remember now how I stumbled in to it yesterday. But there's a Corvette club Forum (based in Oregon) where the members were equally confused as to whether they could run the event based upon the licensing requirement/past experience descriptions. They had your announcement on the Forum (perhaps copied from somewhere).

As I am not a member (nor do I have any intention of joining. nor would I be disposed to talk aobut it if I did) I couldn't direct them here for further splination.

Bill Murray sent me the following. The Grass Valley test day is being posponed.

***ATTENTION***
STAR Projects Event #3, formerly scheduled Sunday, March 1st 2009 has been SET OVER!

This event has been rescheduled for Sunday, March 29th, 2009.

If you have already sent your application /entry and check, please confirm that you will be able to attend on the revised date.

If you prefer, a refund check will be issued immediately. Please let me know by March 15 so someone else can take your place if you cannot attend.

I respect the fact that your time is valuable and any schedule change can be difficult.

With this notice I want to give everyone the longest lead time possible to change plans and apologize for the inconvenience.

This decision was not made lightly however I am convinced the delay will help make this a more enjoyable event for all participants.

I wish to thank the O.R.P. Management Team for their flexibility in scheduling this set over.

Yours for the sport.
Bill Murray

Bill,
I would like to come over and take pictures of the STAR 3 event. Can I get on the list as a guest? That would be great. Thanks Jeff Hanken

Yes,
guests are welcome. You will need to sign a release at the gate before entering the property.
Thank you jeff. Your photo work is excelent!
Bill murray

Great event Bill! I liked the format for learning the new course which maximized the time on track (i.e. half learn north half learn south track) and then finally combining 4 groups into two for the full track clock wise and ccw.

The weather was sunny (little cold/windy) but in the car you didn't feel it.

The track is awesome! even both directions were good. The track has a little of everything, uphill, downhill, fast, slow, heavy breaking, heavy acceleration, off camber, blind corner entries and even banked corners in the half-pipe.

It is a very technical track and will take a long time to master, also demanding total concentration- I did't have time to hardly glance at my gauges! Glad I have a shift light and low pressure warning lights!

Back