Thread: New to PNW. Class for modified E46 M3?

New to PNW. Class for modified E46 M3?

Hey all, I'm new to the area and have an E46 M3. I'm trying to find a class to race in, but since there's no German Touring Series or Touring i'm running into a bit of a wall.

It currently has built suspension and 18x9.5 wheels. If i'm able to find a class, I plan to install a cage. I believe the suspension and tire modification limits the more stock classes. Are there any that you guys would recommend looking into? Thanks!
    Last edited by OkinawaFD3S; 15 May 2017 at 07:36 PM.

Welcome to the area! ST maybe something to consider, or SPM. These classes tend to get at least some competition and allow a lot of different cars to compete.
    Ben Weaver
    #51 G-Prod Volvo 240

I would absolutely look at ST (http://race-st.com), since the E46 M3 has been a very successful car in that class. Also, as Ben said, SPM, which pretty covers anything that has an engine of the right size.
    My favorite racing quote: Jan Magnussen, when asked by a reporter how he could be "so brave" on the racetrack, replied, "I've had hospital food; it's not so bad."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    I would absolutely look at ST (http://race-st.com), since the E46 M3 has been a very successful car in that class. Also, as Ben said, SPM, which pretty covers anything that has an engine of the right size.
    Thanks a lot for the link. I've been getting pretty overwhelmed trying to comprehend the SCCA/ICSCC rule book.

I've been looking all over for info on SPM, but haven't found any regulations besides engine size and a cage. Can you guys point me in the right direction for that? Thanks!

Actually, you pretty much described the SPx classes: As long as a car meets all the safety rules and has an engine of the right size, you're good to go. The only real variation is when working with forced induction, which can bump you up a class, and understanding where a particular rotary engine is classified.

tldr; If your car is legal for ST, it'll also be legal for SPU/SPM/SPO according to engine displacement.
    My favorite racing quote: Jan Magnussen, when asked by a reporter how he could be "so brave" on the racetrack, replied, "I've had hospital food; it's not so bad."

Another vote for ST. Or sell your M3 and buy/build a SpecE46. Since you haven't caged the M3 yet that's a very viable option. SpecE46 is a great and growing class both in the ICSCC and around the nation. IMHO sell the M3 and build the SpecE46. Come out to the races and hang out with the Spec E46 folks, they will convince you.