Rent an open wheel car (FF?) ?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please feel free to educate me if it's not.

I'm looking for an open wheel car to rent, was thinking a FF, for the Enduro in the Novice Open Wheel class in April for my license. Raced shifter karts, then my C5Z track car, and wanting to go back to more of an open wheel feeling.

Just curious how much this kind of thing even costs, what these deals usually entail (like who/how are brakes, tires etc covered, how does the car get to the track, prep work on the car, etc) Also wondering if there are any seats potentially available for the April weekend Enduro.

Thanks for your time fellas,

Andrew

You might call DND Fabrication (Ken Dye). He often has a couple of FF's to rent and provides the cars AT track with trackside support for the weekend.

DND Fabrication: (253) 435-1616

I'm looking for an open wheel car to rent, was thinking a FF, for the Enduro in the Novice Open Wheel class in April for my license. Raced shifter karts, then my C5Z track car, and wanting to go back to more of an open wheel feeling. Andrew

Andrew, are you talking about doing the driver's school in Portland with Cascade - or at The Ridge Motorsports Park with IRDC in April?

If you are going to do the driver's school, you'll need a two seat car, a street car is fine and are commonly used for the driver's school. Open wheel only has one seat, so not good for your instructor ;-)

Maybe you already have a Conference or SCCA license? If so, you won't need to do the school. In any case, check out the novice program here: http://www.icscc.com/novice.php

Download the novice handbook, it clearly outlines the entire program, what you have to do, bring, get, etc. to get started racing. It's an excellent program and everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable.

You can contact the ICSCC (Conference as we call it) license director mailto:license_director@icscc.com and he will be very helpful in talking you through the steps, or feel free to post questions here, lots of folks knowledgeable about getting started.

Read the novice book, ask questions and get ready to have some great fun racing! Lots of former karters here.

Also, no open wheel enduro this April at the Ridge, we had very few in the open wheel enduro last year, so it's canceled; just the 2 hour and 6 hour in April for the closed wheel cars. If you do the school on the previous day, you can work the enduro and get some of your novice requirements out of the way early, it's the typical program for new drivers.

Thanks for chiming in Jim, and I was asking about renting for potentially using in the enduro - but I guess that wont be needed! I'm planning on taking the class at the ridge and will be using my C5Z track car for it.

No SCCA license, just a track day license from Proformance at this point.

I'll definitely download and read through the novice book, thank you! :D

Excited for the 2017 season to get underway, this nice weather is killing me!

Thanks!

Andrew

Not to burst your bubble but Novices are NOT allowed to drive in the Enduros, you have to be an accepted fully licensed driver!

Not to burst your bubble but Novices are NOT allowed to drive in the Enduros, you have to be an accepted fully licensed driver!

not bursting my bubble at all! I just want to know what I'm supposed to do and where I'm supposed to go so I dont make a fool outta myself, get hurt, or worse get someone else hurt. :)

Keep the advice coming!

C5Z Track Car = C5Z Race car in the making..... Just saying.

Or, good car for drivers school.

Definitely will NOT be a road race car for SCCA or NASA. haha It will be a great tool for teaching me and getting me some seat time in a hobby I love so much. And will continue to build it for open road racing for 2018 and get back to the mojave mile races too, but never SCCA... car makes a wee bit too much power to fit into any of those classes except like GT...and well...it could never hold its own except off the line - god help me when it came to turn 1... they would break at the 150 mark and I'd be hard on the brakes at the 400 mark...

BUT its been a great car and relatively low cost (per hour) to run.

Sounds like an awesome ITE car... Just sayin.

We have a few fast cars that would definitely enjoy the competition in group 4 even if out of class.

You might consider spending some time as a flag marshal. Great way to truly evaluate the capabilities of the various race cars on track. The turn workers often know when a driver is in over his head and can give an accurate estimate of where he will end up. Consider it part of the learning curve. You can learn from others mistakes (cheap) or learn from your own (expensive).

Funny you bring that up Rob - I will be out there on April 23rd doing just that! I would rather spend my money on track days, not fixing something because I was ignorant.

Keep all the great info coming fellas!

Andrew

I have been chatting with Andrew on Corvette Forum. He is pretty informed now on the Novice school and will do in his Vette. I will not be able to instruct this event, so maybe another Vette guy will be available?

Since his long term interest is open wheel, I referred him here to find rental options for the OW novice program. If any other OW guys have rental options, please send to him.

Back