Subscription BS from Mylaps?

djjerme

What is the deal now with Mylaps (formally AMB) and subscriptions for transponders?

Just got an email this morning about trading in old transponders for 50% off a subscription for a new transponder?

WTFITS..

Not only have they made their new site worthlessly complicated to use, and keep changing their names/products to "generate revenue" but are we now going to be required to pay an individual subscription when purchasing a new transponder. Huh?!

Is there any alternative to Mylaps on the market - or could we maybe develop something similar locally.

(Sorry, it's Monday AM - and I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet..)

With all of the software knowledge and basic RF engineering available within ICSCC I don't see any reason why an exclusive (or competitive) product to AMB/Mylaps couldn't be developed here.

I believe Mylaps is just a web site designed by AMB people to use the AMB output as a race logging system.

The only place you might run in to trouble is being sure you don't infringe on AMD's transponder patents. But I'm sure there's a way, always is :)

Interesting concept since I think an Aim Solo basic data acquisition unit is cheaper than a transponder at this point ........

If something like that could communicate with the scoring system once a lap it could concievably act as a substitute but I was just reviewing some old Conference newsletters from when transponders started being mandated at SOME races and revisiting that level of drama doesn't sound like much fun.

..I did see a rumor that there is Chinese knock off's (isn't there always) of the older AMB's and these will work with the existing AMB system. The problem is when/if you ever look at the MyLaps site, your lap/race info won't show.

While I know that many are not fans of supporting the Chinese knock off market - I also don't like that any company has a monopoly on something we are required to have..

I also agree, if someone local was able to figure out a way to make something that would work with the existing system - I would be more willing to keep money locally.

The subscription model for Mylaps transponder sucks. I have two I bought before the subscription went into effect. I never intend to support a subscription transponder. It seems so obvious that there is no advantage to the user of this model, only to Mylaps. I collect all my lap times on my own logger, and try to make sure to get the lap times that the ICSCC clubs provide with qual and race results if I want to see everyone's times.

AMB (MyLaps) is expensive on all sides. The track loops, the receivers and decoders, and the in car transponders. Unfortunately they seem to have a monopoly on the sport timing market. Everything from foot races to our sport. Customer support is a joke and Ikea furniture comes with better instructions. I understand their financial model that says sell a $49 cost unserviceable transponder for several $$$ or sell the same thing with yearly activation for $$ with $ annual fee. The second is better for cash flow.
Yes an alternative would be nice, but who will come up with a sweet enough package to inspire all of SCCA, NASA, ISCC, the motorcycle racers, and so on to change?

Alternative - Tag Hauer

So, could their auto system do this as well..

The Chronelec in your first link IS the auto racing system from Tag Hauer and their system is used to time Le Mans! I suspect it's used at a lot of European tracks. If it's true that they can read the AMB transponders it would be ideal. People with AMB's can use them till they break, new people can buy Chronelec.

Of course, moving to a new timing system means ALL the tracks in Conference would have to update their decoders, software, processes, and possibly (probably not?) their loops. I don't see that happening without there being some additional motivation than just the racers hating on MyLaps' subscription model.

Has anyone found or tried the "Chinese alternative" to AMB? I have been doing some web searching and I keep seeing references to a knock-off, but I haven't found any information at all about them. It appears that an AMB X2 can be had for $205.50 with a 1 year subscription from SafeRacer:

http://www.saferacer.com/mylaps-x2-...LwwCriSohfuwo9-5549MBRWT7SwLp2a__zhoClo3w_wcB

A 5 year is available from Pegasus for $475.70:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=25820

Mylaps shows a 1 year subscription for a hard wired unit to be $113.08 and a battery unit $100. What's up with that I wonder? No added subscription value for $13.08 more each year?

I love capitalism and free enterprise very much, but I don't like being abused by a monopoly.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone found or tried the "Chinese alternative" to AMB? I have been doing some web searching and I keep seeing references to a knock-off, but I haven't found any information at all about them. It appears that an AMB X2 can be had for $205.50 with a 1 year subscription from SafeRacer:

http://www.saferacer.com/mylaps-x2-direct-power-car-transponder-racer-pack-1-year?gclid=CjwKEAjw_7y4BRDykp3Hjqyt_y0SJACome3TvduNttxLwwCriSohfuwo9-5549MBRWT7SwLp2a__zhoClo3w_wcB

A 5 year is available from Pegasus for $475.70:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=25820

Mylaps shows a 1 year subscription for a hard wired unit to be $113.08 and a battery unit $100. What's up with that I wonder? No added subscription value for $13.08 more each year?

I love capitalism and free enterprise very much, but I don't like being abused by a monopoly.

Back