What does it take to put on a race?

Greg Miller

If you haven't become an active member of your race club, I encourage you to do so.
By active I mean doing something other than drive your race car to help a club put on a race.

It takes a village to put on a race. Attend your club's meetings, or at least read the minutes of the meetings to get an idea of the needs.

A short list of a typical weekend for IRDC - forgive me if I forgot someone;
Race planning, track negotiation for dates and coordination with other clubs and race organizations
Race planning - schedule, advertising, sponsors, crew(s), food, prizes, MSR updates, ready cash, safety equipment, EM, towing, track checklist
Race operation - registration, timing and scoring, driver services, time sheets - driver services, lost & found, safety crews and equipment, race control with 3 radios, radios, food service for workers, Saturday social, staging and removing safety equipment and cones, National Anthems, meeting spaces .............
Long term planning
Equipment management - inventory, vehicle maintenance, licensing, insurance, storage, drivers

Step behind the scenes and so what you could be doing to help your club please. It can be very rewarding.
Thank you all that helped me for the last 2 years as Club President!!

Back