Points for only car in class

Alberto Fonseca

Admin
Staff member
I had a couple of interesting situations happen this past weekend at Mission that prompted me to review the rules. In doing so I ran into some language that I found a bit vague and thought I'd start a topic for discussion. Specifically, Section 5:

C 502 Awarding of points at each race.
A. In order to qualify as a finisher, a competitor must complete not less than 50% of the number of laps completed by the class winner and receive the checkered flag. If an odd number of laps, round to the next lower number. If there is only one car in class, the competitor must complete not less than 50% of the number of laps completed by the overall race winner to receive first place trophy and points. In the event of a red flag race, see 702.

In my particular case my car broke down past the halfway mark in the group 2 race on Friday and I got towed back to the paddock so wasn't able to take the checkered.

If I read the sentence highlighted above literally I could interpret it to mean I should receive first place trophy and points as it doesn't specify that I had to take the checkered since I was the only car in my class. I'm guessing that wasn't the intent but I'm actually unsure which is why I'm asking here. In any case it seems this language could be tightened up a bit?

I'm eager to learn from more wise minds.

Thanks,

Alberto

Hey Alberto,

Have a look at 712 which states a car that retires from the race cannot re-enter the track. Which means you can't take the checkered flag and get credit for finishing the race.

Hey Alberto,

Have a look at 712 which states a car that retires from the race cannot re-enter the track. Which means you can't take the checkered flag and get credit for finishing the race.

Sure, I read 712 but the highlighted sentence in 502 does not state that taking the checkered is required if you are the only car in class.

"In order to qualify as a finisher, a competitor must complete not less than 50% of the number of laps completed by the class winner and receive the checkered flag."
"If there is only one car in class, the competitor must complete not less than 50% of the number of laps completed by the overall race winner to receive first place trophy and points."

The difference between those too statements is "laps completed by the class winner", or "laps completed by the overall race winner." The checkered flag must be received in either case. If this regulation were to be edited for clarity, the second condition sentence might include the same extention, "and receive the checkered". But even without it there shouldn't be any confusion or change the necessity of crossing S/F at the checkered flag with an engine-running race car.

I know that it's possible to do that at PIR, ORP and PR because the pit lane goes across that flagging line. Other tracks may not be able to accomodate that maneuver.

Also, it makes sense that if you are towed in from the track, you are essentially out of competition at that point, having received assistance to continue that may not have been afforded any competitors. Don't be confused. Endurance racing has changed some expectations in regard to those issues. Endurance racing's current operations is like a slot car track. Everything stops or slows down so a car can be recovered and taken to pit/paddock for repairs.

During real championship racing, had you been taken to a safe haven and repaired the car and continued, had some healthy safety marshals got you unstuck or push started, then you would have continued under your own power, then you could have driven yourself to the pits (not the paddock) and possibly had taken the checkered under your own power. Reporting to scales to keep 'em.

Last edited:
Sure, that makes sense to me and what I thought the intent was. I was just unsure about the wording and wondered if I was the only one that might interpret the omission of "and receive the checkered" to mean that it is not required if you are the only car in class.

In my particular case I was towed to the paddock so 712 covers that case as withdrawing from the race but wondered what other possible scenarios might have happened. For example, if I hadn't been towed back and just sat there for a few laps until the race ended.

Sure, Alberto. If you are able to drive your car in safely at the end of a session, say if you were parked at a safe haven/turn station and fixed your issue, then by all means the turn crew would be most happy for you to continue. We are all happy when cars are able to continue. That is the next thing we want to do after asking you, "Are you okay?". We'd like to say, "Now go away." And sometimes you can get to the S/F within 5 minutes.

Why we have a rule that places lame cars on a hot race track is beyond my understanding. Requiring cars to take the checkered flag rather than just awarding them a finish after completing 1/2 distance is just dangerous.

Back