Labor Day Weekend: RAT Race and Track Day at Oregon Raceway Park!

bill_murray

BILL MURRAY
Good afternoon.

I have reserved the O.R.P. Track for the Labor Day Weekend. I am inviting a few friends to come play.

Saturday August 31ST will basically be an open track day.

To help offset expenses, the fee is $205. There will be time for work on fine-tuning the counter clockwise line and our teaching technique for our STAR School and Team Continental Instructor Core. We could also do a half day clockwise if that is the vote at the drivers meeting. For new drivers or those that would be more comfortable with some coaching I have several qualified instructors available by advance arrangement .

Sunday, September 1ST we have a RAT Race scheduled.

If you don’t have a car we can rent you one. If you don’t have a team we can probably find you a ride with one of ours. (arrive and drives run about $400. Team entry is $550.00 and includes four drivers).

This is going to be one of those laid back “making it up as you go along”, relaxing weekends that some of us only get from blazing around the track like a madman.

Camping is always free. Once we have a head count we can do something about food too.

Please let me know midnight tomorrow (Friday) if you will be joining us.

Bill Murray
503-358-2617

"Racing doesn't get any cheaper than this!"

Last edited:
Second driver, same car for the track day is $150.

If you are entered in the RAT Race and this is your team practice, it is $75 for the second driver, 3rd is $50, and $35 for all team members after (no limit, we like big teams).

At least 8 hours, do you have a preference?

Just out of curiosity, isn't there a Conference race going on at Mission that weekend?

Why would we be using a Conference resource like the ICSSC Forum to advertise events that are in direct competition with Conference sanctioned events?

I am very much in favor of supporting the Conference track facilities to make sure they are economically viable as venues for us to race at in the future and want to see ORP thrive. That is a two way street though, as Mission also needs to be supported as an outlying venue and has a significant number of their "eggs" in a single multi-race "basket". If this track day and race program diverts even a single entry from supporting the Conference sanctioned and promoted race at Mission then it is improper that it be marketed to our members on the Conference website.

Bill is following the letter of the policy that specifies who can post what in the Commercial Posts section of the forum. Whether it's appropriate to schedule a race of any kind on the same week-end that a Member Club is hosting a race is perhaps an issue for the ICSCC president, or maybe the E-Board.

Help me out here...

Just out of curiosity, isn't there a Conference race going on at Mission that weekend?

Why would we be using a Conference resource like the ICSSC Forum to advertise events that are in direct competition with Conference sanctioned events?

I am very much in favor of supporting the Conference track facilities to make sure they are economically viable as venues for us to race at in the future and want to see ORP thrive. That is a two way street though, as Mission also needs to be supported as an outlying venue and has a significant number of their "eggs" in a single multi-race "basket". If this track day and race program diverts even a single entry from supporting the Conference sanctioned and promoted race at Mission then it is improper that it be marketed to our members on the Conference website.

Gentlemen,

The STAR Projects Track Days, Driver's Schools and RAT Race Series are primarily about the number one problem we all face in racing and that is getting new people into the sport.

It's not about ORP as an outlying venue, STAR Projects has also put on Track Days and Races at Thunderhill and PIR. Our events have however provided an opportunity (and has proven successful) in drawing in folks that may never have tried racing through the more expensive and difficult paths.

Our event this Labor Day was announced with an entire 7 days notice. At this juncture in the season it strikes me as very unlikely that anyone is going to scratch a points race in Mission for a Track Day / Enduro in Grass Valley.

On the other hand, it does provide some motorsports opportunity for those who don't race Mission anyway.

That said help me out here, if you've got a friend or neighbor who would like a School, Track Day, Practice or Endurance Race in a relaxed no hassle atmosphere this weekend, send them my way. At the lowest price anywhere, they will have a great experience on a track that has become recognized as both the safest and most technical in the Northwest.

Our new drivers who are eager for the competition of sprint racing are always directed to Conference. I think you will find them to be well trained and competent.

Yours for the sport,
Bill Murray

The RAT Race is aproximatly 8 hours (11:45 a.m. to sunset). The track day fee is $205. per car. An Extra driver is $150. If you are running the Saturday Track Day as a RAT Race practice, it is $205, the second driver is $75, the third is $50 and all others on the team are $35.

The gates are open Friday night to 10:00 p.m. Registration is at the Track Office building.

We are celebrating late August birthdays Saturday night. If you are one of them please let me know and I will get your name on the cake.

See you there!
Bill

Last edited:
Back