Does the "free upgrade" race always apply?

jrhaile

In the past races I have seen Novice's get a free upgrade race after completing their 3 Novice races (and approval). Does this always apply or is it only certain tracks/clubs?

I was wondering this too, since (if everything goes according to plan) the second race of the double header would be my upgrade race..

This is not an official ICSCC or even club thing; it's just tradition. The way it works is that the clubs will typically give you a free entry to your first "regular" class race as a new Area driver the same week-end you pass your upgrade. Not sure how that works with novice open-wheelers anymore, if at all.

.....Not sure how that works with novice open-wheelers anymore, if at all.

SHOULD be the same. NOW runs in Group 6 on Saturdays. Just like NCW runs on Saturdays. So, NOW people should get the 'free' race upgrade on the Sunday after the Saturday when they complete the upgrade. That is the way its been since the change.

The only reason we went to NOW running in Group 6 on Saturdays was to avoid a complete race period on Saturday watching 1 to 5 (rare) chase each other around for 40 minutes. Thanks to good sense rookies and savy seniors, it's worked well.

Point is, NOW novices are a rare commodity and should not be treated any different then NCW novices.

Jeff was in the 1st "class" of NOW's running in Group 6 and he got his 'free pass' on the upgrade weekend.

Last edited:
Northwest Motorsports will give novices and returning racers, who are required to run an observation, race a free upgrade.

Our 2012 Novice race package is $185.00 for the Triple Weekend. This is the total price for 1 or 2 Novice Races. Your first Championship Race with an Area License is FREE. After that it is just $100.00 per race.

If you upgrade after Saturday's race you run on Sunday for Free -----$185.00 total ------ add another race group on Sunday for $100.00 and the total is $285.00

If you upgrade after Friday's race you run free on Saturday and pay $100.00 to run on Sunday ---------$285.00 total. If you want to run double groups well you do the math.

Just pay us at the track when you upgrade.

We at NWMS understand that getting licensed is a big time and money commitment, not to mention that you are learning how to drive and prep a race car at the same time. We have all been there. So we are doing what we can to make it easier to enter the sport of road racing.

See you all at SCR in July

Greg Coffin
VP NWMS
Mygale 99 F2000

So I completed 1 novice race last year. Assuming all goes well on Saturday and Sunday at ORP, that will be 3. But by the time I complete my 3rd race my the Sunday "class" race will have already been completed. But in this case, ORP is racing on Monday too so I guess I just need to plan for another day to run on Monday. Correct?

Also, don't I still need to register for the Monday somehow or do I do that on the day of the race after completing my 3rd race?

Last edited:
The tradition has also been that you only get your free race the same week-end you upgrade. You register for your first non-Novice after you, you know, upgrade. :)

Not sure how that works with novice open-wheelers anymore, if at all.
Combining NOW and Grp 6 happened on my watch as License Director. Free upgrade issue was brought up.
1. Free upgrades are issued on the same weekend only so the club that got the entry fee, pays for the free race. Same weekend to limit paperwork, and to prevent in effect a free weekend including a Saturday.
2. The free upgrade race is one qual and one race and happens with the Novice fresh from a race experience. NCW racers have a bit less track time than other entrants. The free upgrade also compensates for 6 race weekends of lost time.
3. NOW have a bit more track time than NCW so no need to compensate.
4. NOW is already racing with seniors, so where would they use their free upgrade?
So officially NOW does not get a free upgrade - not necessary - and not unfair.

Please read rule 305 G of the ICSCC Competition Regulations.

Well, well. So it really IS an official thing:

Novice license holders who qualify for an ARR license on Saturday
may compete in the Senior races the following day. They must
submit an entry form to the Race Registrar after completion of the
Novice race. The first such race on the same weekend will be
permitted without an additional entry fee or late charge.

As far as TC is concerned, if you upgrade at our event, you will receive a free "upgrade" race as soon as practicable after Bob signs you off to race as an Area Driver. In the case of this upcoming race, this could either be Sunday or Monday regardless of being NOW or NCW. If you think you are a go, come see me and we will make it happen. TC sees this as an important piece of the process and we are very pleased to provide same. We are flexible. Individual cases will be arranged by myself and the Registrar as appropriate. Come and show us what you've learned, eh? My first was in a blinding rain storm at Westwood. I will never forget it. Don't tell anyone. But, I was truly scared. I couldn't see a thing and I could not figure out how all these other guys and gals could be so brave.
Oh well, that was 27 years ago and I'm still breathin'. We would really, really love to have you do your first Area race with TC.
Skip Yocom, TPFD
TC Race Chair

Back